Background

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Chicken Pot Pie

Jarrod always raves about my chicken pot pie with our friends and family. So much, in fact, that they began to request it when they would come over. Which I would then promptly smack him, because, seriously folks, this recipe is nothing fancy. It is so simple and uncomplicated. It does taste good, but I think he exaggerates just a tad. And I fear all the hype will lead to disappointment. But, to please the masses, I am sharing the recipe I use.


First, gather all your needed ingredients. Fairly simple, right?


Mix the chicken, cream of chicken soup, flour, broth and veggies together in a medium-sized bowl. Whew...that was tough.


Sprinkle a little pepper on top and mix. This is just to help give it a little extra kick of flavor. You could add other spices to your liking as well. Get creative!


Place one of the pie shells in a greased pie pan and pour the mixture on top.


Now here comes the hard part...place the other pie shell on top, crimp the edges and cut vent holes on top. Ok, ok...so it isn't that hard.

Put it in the oven for about 15-20 minutes at 400° F. Once that is done...


...cover the edges with aluminum foil or a pie shield. I don't own a pie shield, so I had to go the ghetto way.

Place back in the oven and bake for another 20 minutes.


And voila! Chicken Pot Pie. See? Super, super easy. Nothing to it.

You may wish to make yours a little more golden than what I have pictured, but it was late at night and I was ready for bed. So, this is what I got.


Here is the recipe written out. Enjoy!

  • 1 can Cream of Chicken soup
  • 1 1/2 cup frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
  • 1 1/2 cup cubed cooked chicken (I use a 10 oz. can of chicken)
  • 3/4 cup chicken broth
  • Flour (about 3 to 4 tablespoons)
  • 2 Pillsbury pie shells
  • Pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 400° F. Mix the soup, vegetables, chicken, broth, flour and pepper in a large bowl. The mixture should be somewhat thick (add a little more flour if it is too thin). Layer one pie shell on bottom of a greased pie pan. Pour mixture into pie shell. Cover with additional pie shell and crimp edges. Slice a few vent holes in the top. Bake for 40 minutes until golden. Cover pie edge with aluminum foil or a pie shield if it begins to brown too quickly.

6 comments:

  1. AHHH! No way! Great minds do think alike. I so wish you would have posted this last week when I was trying to find an easy recipe for chicken pot pie! Mine is pretty similar to yours, I'll have to try your ingredients next time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks soo yummy, and really easy to make! I need to do this ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds delicious - we shall try it this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tried this tonight and it was so good! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete