I have been striving to cook more meals at home lately. However, growing up in a non-cooking home, I don't have a ton of skill in the kitchen. It can be a bit of a challenge sometimes. So, I have been scouring the internet for some recipes that are both easy and not extremely time-consuming. And, if they require any sort of baking, then all the better! Here are a few that I have tried over the past few weeks that you may wish to try as well!
First was this
brownie/oreo/chocolate chip cookie concoction. Ok, ok, so this isn't technically a "meal," but I found the recipe on Pinterest and immediately wanted to make it the next time we had people over to the house. Y'all know how I love to bake. I didn't want to make them for just me and Jarrod, though...I needed to make others suffer by consuming this yumminess! So this past weekend became the perfect occasion, as my brother-in-law and sister-in-law were visiting from out of town. Unfortunately, though, it didn't turn out as good as I had hoped. The cookie portion was dry and the brownie was a little under cooked. Disappointing, to say the least. With that said, Jarrod went out the next day and bought some pumpkin ice cream (I know, right?!?!) to put on top and it tasted a lot better. So, it wasn't perfect, but in the end it turned out okay. I guess you can't win them all, right?
 |
| Let's eat! |
To make up for the sadness of the dessert, Jarrod and I made a
quiche the next night. And it was super yummy. I found the recipe on one of my favorite blogs,
The Glamorous Life of a Housewife. I had never made a quiche before, but I figured it couldn't be too hard. And I was right. My only suggestion would be to not add salt, like the recipe states. We used turkey bacon, which already had a salty flavor. I think next time I will just add a little more pepper.
I made this
Weight Watcher's Bubble Up Enchilada recipe a couple of nights ago and it was delicious. I am not sure I would call it enchiladas, but I guess that is the best way to describe it. I found the recipe off a blog called
Lucky in Love. I didn't make it exactly as it called for, as we used ground beef instead of ground turkey. We also added onions, but I add onions to everything. I think next time we make this we will add more vegetables. Maybe cilantro and peppers?
And last, but definitely not least, was this
Hawaiian BBQ Chicken recipe. I love crockpot recipes, because they are so great for Monday nights while Jarrod is in class. I can cook everything all day while I am at work and keep it warm in the crockpot for when he gets home at night. So simple! We ate the chicken over rice instead of on a sandwich and it was really good.
What are some of your favorite recipes? Any good dishes for a beginner like me?
Wow, I'm so impressed! These look great! I'm totally with you on easy, non-time consuming recipes! I'm working on a page on my blog to include a bunch of 'rookie' recipes. Are you on PW's Tasty Kitchen? I've found a lot of goodies on there!
ReplyDelete@Britt: Yes, I love PW! The crockpot recipe is actually from Tasty Kitchen. I need to start browsing around her site for some more recipes....
ReplyDeleteHere's my fav crock pot recipe: Chicken Tacos
ReplyDeleteYou need:
3-4 chicken breasts (can be frozen)
1 can of hot sauce (anything will work)
1 can cream of whatever (mushroom, celery, it does not matter)
Mix hot sauce and cream of whatever.
Place chickens (CAN BE FROZEN) in the crock pot. Dump all of your hot sauce/cream of whatever over chicken, and cook on low all day.
When you get home, you will have AMAZING chicken tacos!
Sam asks for these once a week, I promise you won't be disappointed.
Here is my favorite: Chicken Tacos
ReplyDeleteYou need:
3-4 chicken breasts
1 can hot sauce (anything will work--I get kroger brand mild)
1 can cream of whatever (mushroom, celery, etc)
Mix hot sauce and can of cream of whatever. (all of both).
Put your chicken breasts in the crock pot (They can be frozen when you put them in--I never thaw mine).
Dump your "sauce" over breasts and cook all day on low.
When you come home, you will have amazing meat for chicken tacos!
Sam asks for this once a week, I promise you won't be disappointed.
If you haven't seen it, thekitchn.com has a ton of recipes for everyone from beginners to master chefs.
ReplyDeleteYes, PW is awesome! My favorite "quicky" (and a bit quirky, I spose) recipe? Hmm... it's gotta be my funky honey-cinnamon chicken. Basically, I cut chicken breasts in half in a skillet heated to medium. I drizzle them with honey and sprinkle with cinnamon, and then just cook until done. It's great!
ReplyDeleteIt's great served with rice and a veggie (which I just use the steamer packets for)
I love anything I can make in my crock pot! Too bad the brownie concoction didn't work out. One of my favorite things to make right now is sausage and Tortellini soup. Let me know if you want the recipe and I'll e-mail it to you!
ReplyDeleteLooks SO good!!! Mmmm...
ReplyDeleteThe Hawaiian BBQ Chicken sounds delicious and easy! I'm a fan! :) Following you now!
ReplyDeleteI will need to check back on here for beginner recipes because I can't cook...besides breakfast & dessert!! I am your newest follower!
ReplyDeletethelifeofemilyh.blogspot.com
Yay for new followers! Thanks for stopping by y'all! :)
ReplyDelete