Background

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Good Morning - From the Other Side of the Bed

In response to my wife's recent post, I felt it necessary to provide some perspective and clarification on the topic of mornings in the Sparks' household. In no shape or form did my wife lie, but I feel there are always two sides to every story.

Everyone knows I'm a morning person. It really isn't a secret. Just ask my parents and siblings. I know my wife is not a "morning person," but I still respect her desire for slow to rise "quiet time." Usually I wake up and roll over to try and go back to sleep. Most of the time, though, I can’t, so I get out of bed and head downstairs so as to not disturb my wife's beautiful and peaceful slumber.

Now, in reference to the other day. It was a normal Friday morning and I did have the day off from work. I did wake up around 6 a.m. only 15 minutes before her alarm would go off for the first time (she tends to hit the snooze a few times). I had tried to roll over and go back to sleep like I usually do, but I just couldn't fall back asleep. She angrily told me to stop it and I did. I was softly chatting about how I got a nice voicemail from a friend and thought she would like to hear it. So I was getting to the voicemail and she listened to it and said "Aww...that was nice of him...now turn it off, please." At which time, I did. But it wasn't like I had it next to her ear with a bullhorn -- just loud enough to hear. At this time, she had snoozed twice through her alarm. I was asking what errands and chores needed to get done because I wanted to be a good husband and take care of my "Honey-do" list (which I learned about soon after getting married). I asked her what she wanted for lunch so that I could make it or put in a tupperware for her so she could save some minutes in the morning and she promptly hit me with a pillow. The girl has no appreciation sometimes for the nice things I do for her in the morning!

In response to the "tactics" I use, it simply is misconstrued. I turn on the lights in the bathroom (not shining in her face) so that I can see where I am going. The sheets are only "stolen" because she gets hot and throws them off and usually when I see this I will try to put them back over so she doesn't get cold. And I cuddle with her when she asks me to, because I know she likes it. I can't help it that latent body heat is exchanged.

It isn't torture at all and regardless, I will do everything I can to make sure my beautiful wife has her mornings as pleasant as possible.

Even if it kills me.

No comments:

Post a Comment