Background

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Cleaning Confliction

A couple months after our engagement, Jarrod and I began to discuss transferring from our then single's Sunday school program to another one geared more towards our new founded relationship status. We researched a few classes our church offered, and decided on the Newlywed or Close class. The class is designed for newlywed and engaged couples to help prepare for the first year of marriage. It discusses topics such as communication, finances and conflict resolution. We knew the class would help us strengthen our marriage and better understand one another.

This past Sunday's lesson was on conflict resolution. The speaker began by asking the class to call out different topics that cause conflict within their particular household.

"Money!" one girl in the back proclaimed.

"Career," a guy towards the front stated.

"In-laws," another girl sheepishly said, trying not to make eye contact with her spouse.

As I sat there listening, I pondered what our biggest conflict was about. And as I looked over at Jarrod, I could tell he was doing the same. He turned his head towards me and in that instance we both silently mouthed our conclusion.

Cleaning.

Yes, you read it right. We fight about cleaning. It is such a silly and petty thing to argue over. And to make matters worse, neither of us remember what triggers it. We just know we are in the midst of organizing and cleaning when the gloves come off and things get dirty.

It's not that Jarrod doesn't clean or that I want the house to look like a magazine. I think we just have different expectations. I expect the house to be organized and tidy. I strongly believe that every item has its place and things should be put away after use. Jarrod expects things to be comfortable and livable, however, items can be placed wherever for easy accessibility. And, to add fuel to the fire, both of us are rather stubborn and set in our ways. So, in short, our expectations cause us to have disagreements.

This Friday begins Memorial Day weekend. It also begins the "Sparks Weekend Cleaning Extravaganza!" We are going to try and put what we learned in class to practice. Listening, understanding, compromising and forgiveness...

But, if that dining room table isn't cleaned off by Monday - someone Jarrod is going to get hurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment